Tuesday, June 14, 2011

FUN RUN 4 JAPAN


































Lapu-Lapu City Kadaugan Street Party
FunRun4Japan
April 29, 2011, Friday
Assembly Time: 9PM
Venue: Lapu-Lapu City Hall

I learned about the event from a flyer handed out to finishers of the 3rd Great Lapu-Lapu Run. Since registration was done at Facebook, I wasted no time to register myself. It is actually a charity event, with running participants being voluntarily asked to donate an amount of money for the Japan tsunami victims. It was a run for a cause organized by the able and dynamic Lapu-Lapu City Councilor Harry Don Radaza.

The fun run was just one of the events highlighting Lapu-Lapu City's Kadaugan Street Party in line with the annual celebration of Kadaugan sa Mactan. The main event of the night was the Rampada Showdown,
similar to Rio de Janiero's festivities in Brazil, wherein gorgeous ladies clad in sexy and revealing outfits and beautiful headdress battled each other to become the ultimate Rampada Queen.
Lapu-Lapu City Mayor Paz Radaza together with Rampada contestant (Photo credit: Lapu-Lapu City Official Facebook page )

Harry Don Radaza and Mayor Paz Radaza during the awarding ceremony (Photo credit: Lapu-Lapu City Official Facebook page)

2011 Kadaugan sa Mactan Street Party Rampada Showdown jampacked crowd
No wonder the place was jampacked with spectators of all ages.

I arrived at the site past 7pm. A bit worried, thinking I am a few minutes late. I hated the thought of not arriving on time and missing the race. I am very excited because this is my first night race.

Only to my astonishment - I was the only one in the crowd in full running gear. In my
mind, I asked, "Where on earth are the runners?".

I am about to gave up and about to go going home a woman in black running attire fast approaching. I inquired with her and was told the race was actually scheduled 9 PM. I was agitatingly disappointed.
Imagine having to rush things at work just to be there on time. I am also worried because this would mean having to go home late.

The woman was very receptive and friendly. Judging by her appearance, I can tell she's in her forties. I found out she just came from Canada and been living there for years. Just decided to go home to take a break fromwork. She was bit early for the race because she anticipated the heavy traffic and thought of evading the parking difficulty if she'd came in late.

I later found out she's a member of a running club based in Marigondon, Lapu-Lapu.
 The Nocturnal Runners Club.

Why Nocturnal?

Just like nocturnal creatures, I thought maybe they'll only run at night races.

But I didn't bother to ask.

I told her I had been looking for a running group to associate myself with. She'd gladly offered that she'll introduced me to her running mates once they'll arrived.

But when her companions came in, she must be so excited she'd forgotten me.

I was left alone in the side. No one to talk to.

I decided to go around to look for sensible chat and not get bored.

Until the race started.

A few minutes before the gun shot, celebrity runners Dr. Yong Larrazabal and wife Donna Cruz arrived to join and grace the event.

Dr. Yong Larrazabal and wife, Donna Cruz-Larrazabal with Harry Don Radaza and some runners at the starting line

Much to the delight of the participants.

Though, Im a newbie runner, I can tell that the race was a bit disorganized due to the following reasons,

1. There were no marshalls showing the actual venue of registration.
2. The road was filled with spectators making if risky and difficult to run. It is very awkard running with all eyes on you.
3. There were no marshalls or markers to guide runners for the 3k, 6k and 9k route making it confusing. I later found out that instead of 6k,I was able to run 3k only because there were no markers.

But all in all, it was for a cause and even it's a night race, I had sweat it out.

For me, that alone satisfies my hunger for running.


No comments:

Post a Comment