Tuesday, May 1, 2012

MY FIRST TRAIL RUN

Columbia Eco Trail Run 5th Leg
February 5, 2012, Sunday
Brgy. Mulao, Liloan Cebu
Distance: 12.6KM

If someone would ask me about my Columbia Eco Trail Run experience, I would borrow the words of the author and professor Michael Josephson when he said, "Don't ask me if it was easy, ask if it's worth it".

The Columbia Eco Trail was my first trail run.  Now on its fifth leg, I've heard that the first four editions were equally adventure-packed races held at different eco-tourism destinations in Cebu . Columbia and R.O.X, who were the organizers said that the fifth leg is the most challenging race ever.  True enough, it was an extremely difficult, risky and challenging route that covers a total of 12.6KM distance along the beautiful scenic mountain barangay of Mulao, Liloan, Cebu. The adventure-filled trail run is a combination of mountain climbing, hill walking, two river trail crossing, massive boulder srambling, hurdling rocking faces and ridges, suspension challenge in a hanging bridge, muddy run, and of course technical ascents and steep down hill challenge. 

The First Hurdle

The first hurdle for me is climbing Mt Lanigid.  As a newbie, reaching the hill top is pure torture.   I had to stop several times to rest, take a deep breath and regain strength to make that next step uphill.  After a long ordeal of getting to the top of Mt. Lanigid, it was all worth the pain.

Malipayong Runner at Mt. Lanigid's peak
The fresh air, lush greens, the beautiful scenery was pure heaven and communing with nature was such a divinely beautiful experience.

But much when I thought I'd overcome the hardest part, I am clueless that there are still more to come.  

Second hurdle?

Getting ourselves down. 

Here comes the downhill trail.  If going to the top is hard, getting oneself down is equally difficult.  At the middle point going down from the top, we got stuck in a queue.  We were forced to stop and wait for the queue to progress.
Runners going down Mt. Lanigid

Looking down, we noticed that the way was so narrow and the downward slant is extremely difficult that one had to be careful and endeavor to make calculated move going down.  If one slipped, it will create a domino effect on runners ahead of the queue and one wrong move would make one go down deep.  Adding fear is the reality that we don't know what await us down.  Getting slipped is nobody's option.

That challenge demonstrated our selflessness, when we've shown genuine concern and teamwork with other runners.  It was a beautiful sight to see all of us helping each other getting down.  Extending our hands to the runner behind us for them to have something to hold.  Telling each other to be extra careful so as not to be slipped.  The bayanihan spirit is alive in each one of us.

When we've passed that challenge,  I cannot help but mumble a little prayer.  Thank God we were safe.  We all boisterously laughed about that crazy and scary experience.

River 1

River 1 
When we were fast approaching the first river, I got to see it from afar.  It was amazingly beautiful.  The rocks are crazy big and humongous.  From the mountainside viewpoint where I was trekking, I also got to see the runners few miles ahead of us.  It reminded me of my slow pace and that it would take a miracle to catch up.  But it didn't matter to me.  After all, I came not to compete but to enjoy the beautiful scenery and breathtaking view.  I wanted to savor every moment of it.  That alone already makes me a winner.

It was good that the organizers did not allow us to cruise the entire river, but instead required us to trail a portion of it.  I can surmise that because there were less rocky points in the first few kilometers of the river that passing the entire stretch would forced runners to be submerged in the water.  Wet runners would mean more likely to be exposed to accidents.  But even with that security measure in mind, I later learned than an Air Force runner who participated the race accidentally slipped himself while passing those rocks, thus unable to finish the race.

Malipayong Runner hurdling massive boulders
River 1 was one hell of a never ending boulder scrambling experience.  We have to hurdle giant-sized boulders, rocks and stones to pass.  We have to slide and glide our body, embrace and cradle the rocks, climb and roll our bodies, passed by an improvised bamboo bridge - all these just to survive the race.  It was risky, yes, but it was an experience I wouldn't trade for the world.

Photo credit: Columbia Official Facebook page


When I almost reached the end part of the river, I looked back several times.  I wanted to vividly capture the beauty of the place in my mind.  I cannot help but be drawn in awe and fascination by the beauty and magnificence of God's work of art. I've never thought Cebu has it's own share of paradise in Mulao.


Hanging Bridge
Malipayong Runner at the hanging bridge
The suspension challenge by passing the hanging bridge isn't that difficult.  Except that you have to be extra careful with your wet shoes on, the possibility of your feet getting trapped in between bars or getting an accident is not remote.  But to secure yourself you can get hold of the wires on both sides of the bridge.  The hanging bridge was not elevated enough to scare passersby and the river below doesn't send shivers on my bones. But for others who have fear of heights, like my runner companion, Che-Che, that challenge might be another dreadful point to overcome.

River 2

River 2 is smaller compared to the first river. It has smaller rocks which makes it obviously less risky.  But the difficult part is it has longer route compared to the first one.  We spent several hours cruising the circuitous route of the river draining our energy and causing our feet to become tired and exhausted. The river is the last route leading to the uphill road climb to the finish line.

The End Is Near

The  signage "Welcome To Barangay Mulao" signals that we are nearing the finish line.

Stationed marshalls in the area told us that it is the last leg of the race, with few kilometers left before reaching home base.

Malipayong Runner doing power walks few kilometers to the finish line
For me this part is the most difficult in the entire route.  Imagine having been in a "jungle" for almost four hours. My legs were already tired, exhausted and shaking.  I have been trailing for several hours and had to endure the scorching heat of the sun.  Not to mention by being deeply aggravated by a super dry throat with no more water available to quench my thirst.  I was craving for water. Sadly, no water station is in sight.

I almost gave up.   I can't barely push myself any further.  There was a point when I wanted to drop my body to the ground because I can't take it anymore. I told my running companion Che-Che to just leave me and continue because I thought I can't make it.  She insisted I take some rest to regain strength.  Luckily, we spotted a bahay-kubo nearby and the girl in the house was kind enough to provide us cold water for free.  I was able to refresh myself again.

I am thankful to Che-Che for being my inner voice who kept telling we can make it 'till the finish line.  True enough we did.  We did not make it to the 4-hour cut off time as we both arrived beyond, but we arrived with smiles on our faces just like any victor.                      

The experience? It sure wasn't easy but it was truly worth it.  Having landed our feet on such amazingly beautiful place in Cebu is worth all the pain, bruises, and discomfort.

If given the chance to do it again, I surely will, because it was an experience I will treasure in my memories forever.


1 comment:

  1. Great trail run story! Hope you continue trail running! --jazzrunner

    ReplyDelete